Tryon County, as Montgomery County was originally known, was set off from Albany County in 1772 on the petition of Sir William Johnson and named Tryon in honor of his friend, the Colonial Governor William Tryon. Johnstown was set up as the county seat. After the close of the Revolutionary War, the name of the county was changed to Montgomery in honor of General Richard Montgomery. All the land south of Oneida Lake and west of Utica to the present city of Buffalo was named Whitestown, in honor of early pioneer Hugh White, and was added to Montgomery County.
The first road improvement through Montgomery County came in the building of what was known as “The King’s Highway” on the north side of the Mohawk River. It was little more than a military route. Work was begun in 1800 on an improvement that was known as the “Mohawk Turnpike.” Operation of the main route through the valley was a big contribution to the development of the western part of New York and western states.
Opening of the Erie Canal in 1825 gave big advantages to Montgomery County communities on the south side of the Mohawk River where new hamlets grew overnight and early established villages enjoyed booming business. Hay and farm products were shipped to New York and packets carried both local and cross-state passengers in leisurely comfort as judged by the standards of the times. The waterway drew so much business that it was being enlarged before 1840.
Determining the pattern of early settlements in Montgomery County were the streams of various sizes that flowed into the Mohawk from the valley hillsides. Water turned mill wheels along the rivers and creeks as industry struggled in infancy in the early 1800’s. Grist mills, lumber mills, and similar production centers that served the countryside attracted other businesses and little hamlets grew as water wheels creaked.
By 1840, Montgomery County residents were discovering that there were other ways to make a living than by farming. The age of machinery had arrived and the early grist mills and saw mills were being replaced by factories powered by water wheels. Groups of workers were being organized to turn out farm machinery, tools, furniture, wagons, wearing apparel and countless other products.
Montgomery County’s awareness of the Civil War came to a high point in August of 1862 when the hills above Fonda were bustling with activity. Here was Camp Mohawk induction center of the 115th Regiment that was preparing to leave for battlegrounds of the south. Less than 200 of the original regiment of 1,049 that included 421 from Montgomery County remained to be mustered out in June of 1865.
Prior to 1873, all Montgomery County residents who did not own or who were unable to hire a horse and carriage were community walkers. In that year, Amsterdamians saw their first horse cars. This same service was extended between Fonda and Fultonville two years later. By 1890, the electric car had arrived to replace the horsepower carriers and local travel was speeded considerably. Later, cities were being connected by electric railroads and by 1903 it was possible to ride by trolley from Gloversville to Fonda, to Amsterdam and to Schenectady. Transportation changes came rapidly, however, and in another quarter century the trolleys were replaced by buses.
Construction of the first river lock in the county started at Cranesville in October of 1906, and the Barge Canal was opened for navigation in May of 1918. When the Thruway was first talked about, plans called for Montgomery County construction on the north side of the Mohawk River. By the time the Legislature in 1944 authorized start of construction the cross-state highway ideas had changed to the south side. Moving the river to make more room around Little Nose Mountain was begun in 1948 and the first main contract was started in Amsterdam in 1952. Although the superhighway removed sections of villages on the south side of the river, the overall result was extensive commercial developments east and west of the principal communities. The thruway, marking another transportation era, had found Montgomery County in a position to grow and benefit.