NYSAC - Chemung
Facts of Interest
- Population: 91,070
- Year Organized: 1836
- Area: 408 Square Miles
- County Seat: Elmira
- Main Industry: Manufacturing
- County Legislators: 15
- County Nursing Homes: 1
- Colleges and Universities: 1
- State Parks: 3
- Cities, Towns and Villages: 17
- 115 Uniformed Police Officers
- School Districts: 3
- The name Chemung is derived from the name of a Delaware Indian village said to signify “place of the big horn”, due to the mammoth tusks found in the region.
- Final resting place of Samuel Clemens (A.K.A. Mark Twain) who wrote some of his best
known works while spending his summers in Elmira.
- Home of Wings of Eagles: The National Warplane Museum.
- Home of The National Soaring Museum.