Confidential Secretary to the County Attorney
LAST DATE TO FILE: December 7, 2017 by 4:30pm
HOW TO APPLY: Submit Civil Service application and resume to the Schuyler County Civil Service Office, 105 Ninth St., Unit 21, Watkins Glen, NY 14891.
VACANCY: At the present time, there is one full-time, 35 hour per week, opening in the Schuyler County Attorney’s office. No Civil Service examination will be required.
JOB DESCRIPTION: This position involves responsibility for assisting the County Attorney in a wide variety of legal, administrative and other functions. The position involves the performance of a variety of tasks requiring the exercise of a high level of autonomy, independent judgment, and a general understanding of legal procedures and administrative polices. The position will involve the preparation and drafting of legal documents and collection/organization of evidence as well as assisting the County Attorney and Assistant County Attorneys with trial preparation and related activities. Work is performed under the general supervision of the County Attorney. The position involves interaction with county officials, law enforcement, schools, municipal and community organizations. Significant contacts with external agencies and individuals is required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Assists in the preparation of pleadings, orders, petitions, motion papers, contracts, resolutions and other legal documents;
- Work closely with attorneys in preparing court files and assisting with preparation for court appearances;
- Obtains legal reference material when requested;
- Drafts letters, memoranda, reports, and other materials related to the County Attorney’s Office;
- Conducts routine correspondence on matters where policies and procedures have been defined;
- Files—open, maintain, review for completeness, close, coordinate records retention;
- Maintains all legal unit records including case files, work orders, court calendars, and current logging of unit activity;
- Types, processes, indexes, sorts, records, and maintains confidential and regular correspondence, including affidavits, subpoenas, legal briefs, and other documents necessary for the operations of the County Attorney’s Office;
- Proficient in Word, Excel, time-keeping software, internet legal research and related computer operations;
- Reception—open mail, answer phone, or greet visitors personally; give or receive information, act on information, or refer as appropriate;
- Order office supplies and furniture through purchasing department and prepare vouchers;
- Preparation of annual State Audit Report on all claims upon the County. (County Treasurer’s Financial Statements Examinations and Request to County Attorney’s Office Regarding Litigation—preceding year.) Submit to Attorneys for review/revision;
- Assist with preparation of County budget and maintain department accounts;
- Gather information and prepare reports; Plans and supervises the collection, tabulation and analysis of statistical and financial data;
- Maintain logs of documents and acts on same in a timely manner;
- Schedules appointments and hearings;
- Prepare travel requests, make travel arrangements and prepare vouchers;
- Maintain County time system for office employees.
- Supervise and train other clerical employees (if applicable);
- Perform other duties as assigned by employer;
- Assist with DSS/CAO Contract Department work when requested;
- Keep confidential relation as an extension of the attorney-client privilege.
Confidential Secretary to the County Attorney
||Steven J. Getman, Schuyler County Attorney’s Office
||Watkins Glen, NY
|Posting Start Date:
||RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Candidates must have been legal residents of Schuyler or a contiguous (Chemung, Seneca, Steuben, Tompkins and Yates) county for at least one month immediately preceding the date of the written examination. Preference in appointment may be given to a resident of the jurisdiction for which there is a vacancy.
SUGGESTED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
a.) Associates Degree in paralegal studies, business administration, political science, criminal justice or a closely related field AND 2 years of full-time paid (or the equivalent part-time and/or volunteer) legal clerical experience; OR
b.) 4 years’ work experience described in (a.)
c.) Any combination of education and experience equal to or greater than that described in (a) and (b) above.
NOTES: At least 2 years’ experience working as a legal secretary in a court, county attorney or district attorney’s office is preferred.
||This listing expires on: 12/21/2017