Women in NYS County Government Meet to Discuss Challenges, Successes, and Solutions
- By: NYSAC
- On: 09/21/2017 09:55:49
- In: Press Releases
The NYSAC Women's Leadership Council is the only statewide program focused specifically on providing support to women in county government.
SYRACUSE- The NYS Association of Counties (NYSAC) Women's Leadership Council gathered last week for the Meeting of the Minds series of non-partisan round table discussions.
The Women's Leadership Council is the only statewide program focused specifically on providing support to women in county government.
Over 60 women serving in various county leadership positions on both sides of the aisle came together for the workshop, held during the NYSAC Fall Seminar in Syracuse. (Photos are available here.)
The workshop discussions were facilitated by:
- Janet Duprey, retired NYS Assemblywoman and Clinton County Treasurer
- Rensselaer County Executive Kathy Jimino
- NYS Senator Pamela Helming
- Erin Loos Cutraro, Founder & CEO, She Should Run
- Cynthia Shenker, Esq., founding partner of Shenker Russo & Clark LLP
Topics covered by the group included raising campaign funds, careers in county government, managing conflict in heated times, mentoring, and the unique challenges faced by women in public office.
The NYSAC Women's Leadership Council is the first and only program in New York State focused specifically on providing support and training to women in serving in public office at the county level.
"It was an honor to connect with my colleagues to support women in county government, and to share our experiences, challenges, and triumphs as women in public office. The Women's Leadership Council will continue doing important work moving forward," said MaryEllen Odell, Putnam County Executive and NYSAC President.
The Women's Leadership Council launch earlier this year coincides with the 100th anniversary of New York State signing women's suffrage into law, three years before the ratification of the 19th Amendment granting all United States women the right to vote.
Members of the Women's Leadership Council Executive Committee are:
- Hon. MaryEllen Odell, Putnam County Executive - WLC Executive Committee Chair
- Hon. Claudia Braymer, Warren County Board of Supervisors
- Hon. Nancy Buck, Sullivan County Treasurer
- Hon. Indy Jaycox, Schoharie County Clerk
- Hon. Kathy Jimino, Rensselaer County Executive
- Hon. Lucille McKnight, Albany County Legislator
- Hon. Martha Robertson, Tompkins County Legislator
- Hon. Martha Sauerbrey, Tioga County Legislative Chair
NYSAC Staff Contact: Nicole Correia, email@example.com