Women in County Gov't Convene for Bipartisan Meeting
Women's Leadership Council event held in Rochester.
On September 24, the NYS Association of Counties (NYSAC) Women's Leadership Council gathered for a series of bipartisan roundtable conversations on the issues, challenges, and opportunities unique to women in county government.
The NYSAC Women's Leadership Council is the only statewide program focused specifically on providing support to women in county government.
Roundtable discussion topics and facilitators included:
- 1st Amendment 1st Vote: Engaging Young Women in Voting and the Political Process - Facilitated by Dr. Karen King, Director, Erie County Commission on the Status of Women
- Leading in Your Community - Facilitated by Angelicia A. Morris, Executive Director, Schenectady County Human Rights Commission
- Fundraising & Campaigning - Facilitated by Martha Robertson, Chair, Tompkins County Legislature
- Personal & Professional Growth for Women in Government - Facilitated by Marte Sauerbrey, Chair, Tioga County Legislature
The NYSAC Women's Leadership Council provides resources and support for women serving in public office at the county level. It is the first and only program in New York State focused specifically on providing support to women in county leadership, and expands NYSAC's ongoing series of workshops and training focused on women in government.
"I'm thrilled to continue the excellent work the Women's Leadership Council has done over the past year. By giving women in county government the opportunity to share experiences, challenges, and triumphs we all become better leaders and mentors." said MaryEllen Odell, Putnam County Executive and NYSAC President.
The Women's Leadership Council launched in 2017 coincided with the 100th anniversary of New York State signing women's suffrage into law, three years before the ratification of the 19th Amendment granting all United States women the right to vote.
The NYSAC Women's Leadership Council Executive Committee includes:
- Hon. MaryEllen Odell, Putnam County Executive, Committee Chair
- Hon. Claudia Braymer, Warren County Board of Supervisors
- Hon. Nancy Buck, Sullivan County Treasurer
- Hon. Indy Jaycox, Schoharie County Clerk
- Hon. Lucille McKnight, Albany County Legislator
- Hon. Martha Robertson, Chair, Tompkins County Legislature
- Hon. Martha Sauerbrey, Chair, Tioga County Legislature
For more information, visit https://www.nysac.org/wlcworkshop18.