Commissioner of Management & Budget
Want to work in our state’s capital, where you are a key to keeping Albany County fiscally sound, while being truly appreciated and well compensated including a comprehensive benefit package?
Albany County is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities encouraged to apply!
This influential position works directly under the County Executive and is responsible for formulation of all budgetary policies of the County, including allocation and expenditure of funds. It plays an important role in general policy formulation for the County and in review and recommendation on proposed policy and organization changes in several department. The incumbent performs other duties including oversight of the County's Risk Management Program and Self Insurance Fund. Direct and indirect supervision is exercised over a number of professional and clerical employees. The Commissioner acts as the County Treasurer and supervises Information Services and Real Property activities.
- Plans, structures, and directs the budget and risk management organization units
- Selects, develops, motivates, and appraises performance of key subordinate staff
- Participates with the County Executive, Director of Finance, and the Legislature to develop short and long-range financial plans, alternative strategies, and fiscal policy for the County
- Prepares annual county budget and Capital Budget, authorizes, and approves the allocation of budgeted funds and ensures the integrity and control of County budgets
- Informs the County Executive, and the Board of Legislators of the financial condition of the County
- Initiates and conducts a wide variety of management studies relating to operating policy and practice, organization, staffing, and fiscal controls
- Participates in the formulation and implementation of County fiscal and operating strategy and policy
- Provides ongoing counsel to the County Executive and the Legislature regarding the fiscal effect of policy and programs, and the overall financial status of the County and its operations
- Reviews and recommends operating and capital budgets for all County departments, bureaus, boards, districts, commissions and agencies and exercises authority to ensure the fiscal stability of the County
- Maintains a close working relationship with the banking community, the State Controller's office, and with various private sector organizations to coordinate County fiscal affairs generally, plan and timing of bond issues, and promote public/private sector cooperation and joint ventures, and with the Director of Finance, oversees the investments of the County's Self Insurance Fund.
Commissioner of Management & Budget
|Posting Start Date:
A Bachelor's Degree in business or public administration, political science, economics, or related field and ten (10) years’ experience in budgetary and financial control or administrative management activities including three (3) years of supervisory or executive responsibility; OR,
A Master's Degree in one of the above fields and eight (8) years’ experience in budgetary and financial control or administrative management activities including (3) three years of supervisory or executive responsibility required.
Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of modern public budgeting and finance; public administration and administrative management is required.
Familiarity with New York State local finance laws and modern economic and commodity market principles strongly preferred.
Ability to analyze financial statements, and significant trends in operations from detailed records and factual materials a must.
Must possess proven leadership skills, excellent communication, computer, decision making, and analytical skills and integrity.
Must reside in Albany County or be willing/able to move to Albany County upon hire.
Albany County offers a competitive salary and exceptional benefits including: Very affordable health and dental insurance, PTO including 11 holidays, 13 sick days and 10 vacation days a year plus NYS Retirement! They also offer a tuition reimbursement program, direct deposit, and much more.
This position is available immediately, so send your resume today to email@example.com!
||This listing expires on: 7/23/2020