Director of Building Services
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is a department head level position responsible for planning and directing the activities of the maintenance and grounds operation for all County-owned and operated facilities. Work is performed in accordance with New York State Building Codes, New York State Department of Labor, and other accepted practices, general policies and procedures. The incumbent will develop and schedule preventive maintenance programs for all County operated facilities; and is responsible for the direction and supervision of all County maintenance personnel. The incumbent does related work as re- quired.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Exercises administrative direction and supervision over the operations and personnel in the Building Services Department;
- Develops and schedules a preventive maintenance program to ensure the County's buildings, grounds and equipment are maintained in safe and efficient operating condition;
- Directs, supervises, trains and participates in the maintenance and repair of structural deficiencies; heating, plumbing and other related electrical and mechanical equipment;
- Oversees all maintenance personnel and conducts workshops and training programs on the safe and efficient cleaning, maintenance and operation of the County facilities and grounds;
- Plans, schedules and assigns employees to various tasks and projects;
- Maintains appropriate records and prepares reports for all maintenance operations in all County-operated buildings;
- Ensures that inspections and reports are completed for federal, state and local regulatory agencies to ensure compliance with codes, rules and regulations;
- Consults with and assists department heads in the preparation of their annual budgets in the areas of maintenance activities (i.e. The Meadows, Public Safety Building, Highway, 242 Main Street);
- Prepares the annual budget for all other County operated buildings and is responsible for the proper expenditure of funds allocated to maintenance in these other buildings;
- Prepares specifications and cost estimates for equipment and repair projects;
- Prepares annual charge back reports accounting for all labor and materials expenditures;
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring and disciplining department personnel;
- Evaluates the work of subordinate supervisors, office, and maintenance personnel in compliance with Otsego County policy;
- Responds to inquiries from employees, department heads, and the public regarding buildings and grounds activities;
- In coordination with other agencies (i.e. Code Enforcement, Emergency Services, etc.):
- May serve as Clerk of the Works/Construction Manager for contractual services pertaining to the County's facilities;
- Conducts necessary inspections and appraisals pertaining to the facilities as required by law as well as the filing of related reports;
- May perform any other such duties, which may be assigned by the Board of Representatives from time to time.
Director of Building Services
|Posting Start Date:
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of modern building and grounds operation, maintenance and repair practices; thorough knowledge of safety regulations, procedures and security in the workplace and public buildings; good knowledge of the principles and practices of building related environmental hazards including but not limited to mold, asbestos and lead paint, planning, directing and supervising a program of buildings and grounds maintenance and its personnel; good knowledge of the operation and maintenance of heating, air conditioning, ventilating, electrical and plumbing systems and mechanical equipment; working knowledge of safety precautions and practices associated with buildings and grounds maintenance and repair work; ability to read and to comprehend plans, diagrams and specifications; ability to plan and to supervise the work of others; ability to prepare budgets, operating reports and maintain written records and reports; ability to follow written and oral directions; ability to maintain the cooperation of others; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; initiative; sound judgment; dependability; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either:
(a) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an
Associate’s Degree or higher and five (5) years of experience managing multi-trade building projects in two (2) or more of the standard building trades*; two (2) years of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity in large scale building construction, maintenance or repair activities; or
(b) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and seven (7) years of experience as described above, of which two (2) years of this experience shall have been in a supervisory capacity in large scale building construction, maintenance or repair activities; or
(c) An equivalent combination of training and experience as described above.
*Building trades including carpentry, electrical technology, plumbing, heating and air conditioning, or building construction.
A valid New York State driver’s license and acceptable driving record is required at time of appointment. A valid New York State driver’s license must be maintained during employment.
Applications available at the Otsego County Personnel/Civil Service Department, 183 Main Street, Cooperstown, NY 13326 or online at www.otsegocounty.com
||This listing expires on: 11/1/2020