Working Together, Working for Life: Counties Promote Organ Donation
Together with NYSAC past-president Ed Diana (who received a life-saving liver transplant in 2014), county leaders have partnered with the New York Alliance for Donation to encourage residents to register as organ donors. View and download resources for counties. Scroll down for links to additional resources.
Unfortunately, only 18 percent of New Yorkers age 18 and over have enrolled in the NYS Donate Life Registry, compared to the national average of 42 percent. NYSAC believes that counties can be the driving force to raise awareness and increase donor registration in New York.
Becoming a registered organ donor in New York State is easy and can be done online. Visit the New York Alliance for Donation website or the NYS DMV website to register.
Video: The New York Alliance for Donation and the New York Association of Counties are working together to save lives
by increasing organ, eye and tissue donor rates across New York State.
Resources for Counties:
- “Working Together, Working for Life” Resource Center for county officials
- Orange County proclamation recognizing National Donate Life month
- Organ Donor Fact Sheet (Orange County)
- Audio interview on WAMC Northeast Public Radio: Stephen Acquario, Ed Diana, and DMV Executive Deputy Commissioner David Sampson (click to listen and read).
- NYS Department of Health Organ and Tissue Donation information