County leaders are in the process of hosting shared service panel meetings with leaders from the municipalities and school districts within county borders.
These panel meetings are a requirement of a new law enacted as part of the State Budget that requires county executives, managers, and board chairs to lead a panel comprised of all city, town, and village leaders to create county-wide shared services property tax savings plans.
These initiatives are an opportunity for NYSAC to leverage this work with our colleagues in towns, cities, and villages to demonstrate local government leadership in our communities across the state.
To support this work, NYSAC is collecting the information being generated by these panel activities and making that information available here to assist other counties.
Fact Sheet - Enacted NYS Budget: Shared Services (4/4/18)
to the NYS Senate Standing Committee on Local Governments (2/12/18)
Read NYSAC's Testimony on Shared Services to the
NYS Assembly Standing Committees on Local Governments and Cities (1/16/18)
View shared services ideas generated by county-wide shared service panels throughout the state.
View a list of existing county shared services initiatives.
Read about state barriers to local shared service success.
(PDF - Article from Cornell University's Dept. of City and Regional Planning)
View county-wide shared service plans submitted to the Department of State.
If you have any additional material from your county-wide shared services panel, please send those items to Alexandra LaMonte at email@example.com so that it can be included here.
NY State's Shared Service Initiative Law
County Panels and Initiatives
NYSAC White Papers and Reports
- County-Wide Shared Services Initiatives (January 2019)
- ?Response to Governor's '17-'18 Property Tax Budget Proposal - Hon. William E. Cherry, President - Remarks to the Full Legislative Conference Delegation - 1/31/17
- NYSAC Testimony on Consolidation Grants 2017
- County Government Efficiency Plans
- Working Together: Local Governments Sharing Services in NYS
- PayGo NY: Bringing Innovative Solutions to Local Government Challenges - a collaboration with Ulster County Executive Mike Hein
- Local Government Units in New York State