Sustainability Coordinator Rockland County
Position Sustainability Coordinator
Organization: Rockland County
Location: Pamona, NY
Date Posted: 9/21/2023
ROCKLAND COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING
Rockland County Department of Planning is seeking a candidate to perfom technical professional work of a difficult nature involving the development, management, and oversight of the Rockland County Sustainability program. The individual will be responsible for administering and advancing sustainability initiatives, policies, and programs and tracking and managing statewide certification programs. The work is performed under the general supervision of a Principal Planner and/or higher-level administrator and supervision is provided to others involved with sustainability activities. Does related work as required.
Candidates must possess thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of sustainability initiatives related to climate change, energy conservation, renewable energy systems, and greenhouse gas emissions; good knowledge of grant funding sources and grant application processes; ability to conduct research studies, as they relate to sustainability; ability to supervise the work of others; ability to analyze, compile and present infonnation; ability to educate and interact with others; ability to prepare written reports; ability to understand and interpret complex written material; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective relations with others including the general public, government officials, committee members, etc.; ability to use computer software and applications in the completion of assignments.*
The individual will help develop, oversee, and implement the County's Sustainability Program The individual will work closely with several different County Departments providing leadership in the review and implementation of the County Sustainability Action Strategy to collect, submit, track, and evaluate documentation required to achieve Climate Smart Certification (CSC) and Clean Energy Community (CEC) designation. The individual will coordinate the preparation, review and updates of Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Inventories and Climate Action Plans (CAP), be responsible· for meeting and consulting with task force members, advisory board members,committees, appointed and elected government officials, professionals and the public on sustainability programs; compile and analyze a variety of technical studies and data in relation to sustainability planning, regulation and program implementation; develop and participate in studies involving research, investigation, and analysis of sustainability initiatives; identify and evaluate grant programs and assist in the preparation of applications; and assist in the creation and maintenance of a sustainability web page.
- A Bachelor's degree in Sustainability, Planning (e.g., Urban, Regional, Community, Environmental), Environmental Science/Studies or Engineering, Biology, Ecology, Natural Resources, Geography, Public Administration or comparable curriculum and four (4) years of professional experience in the development or implementation of sustainability initiatives such as climate change, energy conservation, energy management, renewable energy, greenhouse gas emissions, natural or water resources, comprehensive planning#, transportation#, or related initiatives; or
- A Master's degree in Sustainability, Planning (e.g., Urban, Regional, Community, Environmental), Environmental Science/Studies or Engineering, Biology, Ecology, Natural Resources, Geography, Public Administration, or comparable curriculum and two (2) years of professional experience in the development or implementation of sustainability initiatives such as climate change, energy conservation, energy management, renewable energy, greenhouse gas emissions, natural or water resources, comprehensive planning#, transportation#, or related
# Examples of planning and transportation experience should include activities related to the incorporation of sustainability and climate change impacts.
Other Requirements and Information:
- This is a competitive position in Civil Service and reachability on an eligible list following a civil service examination would be a requirement for permanent
- Rockland County residency is required at the time of
Salary and benefits are competitive with the public sector market including but not limited to the following:
- $70,810 I Annually
- 40 Hour work week
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Time off including vacation, personal and holiday
- New York State Pension eligibility
If you are interested in this position; please email your resume and cover letter to:
*To be demonstrated during the probationary period.